Sunday, October 28, 2007

Gummi Bears in Bulk

There are some things I do around my home now just like my parents did around home when I was growing up. One of these was brought to my attention two weeks ago. As soon as we FINALLY got our garage cleaned out, moved out the old bathtub and random pieces of wood from fixing the house and "antiques" the previous owner left us, the first thing I did was park my car inside (hooray!) and hang a couple pieces of metal doodads on a string from the ceiling. You place the string in just the right spot so when you drive your car in, the weight at the end of the string hits just where the rearview mirror connects to the winshield. This is how you know you've pulled in enough. Brent walked in the house and said, "Alright, Miss Hoeger" (notice use of maiden name). That's because this is something my dad always did in our garage, and is very characteristic of all the McGyver-type solutions he whips up to solve problems around the house and yard.

Now this I see as a very useful thing. But I remember when I copied another practice from my childhood days. I was particularly missing my parents one day, and wishing I could live by them, and didn't really think there was much I could do about it. That's when it occurred to me--I could go buy a huge bag of bulk gummi bears. We always had a bag of bulk gummi bears around the house--sometimes dad carried them on his long runs to give him carbs, but mostly we just ate them. So I went out and did it. Since then it has become one of those staple grocery items--any time it starts to run low it automatically goes on the grocery list. Hooray for gummi bears.

1 comment:

  1. The kids at church knew me as the candy man because I always had gummy bears to keep the kids happy during sacrament meeting (ours as well as those around us). One particular family moved away for a few years and upon their return to our ward some 8-10 years later, the now young lady (who was a young child back then) looked at me, not knowing my name, she said "I know you, you're the candy man!"

    Dad!

    ReplyDelete