
Brent came home from a Young Men's activity with a new idea, we needed a family hobby, he said.
Apparently, he'd just been hanging out with the family who jet skis and the family who dirt bikes and the family who cycles. I'm not sure what we are. The family who cleans out their shed every weekend. The family who with perpetually dirty cars (a downfall to living on a dirt road.) I don't know why he can't be satisfied with that.
So we started brainstorming, and it turns out there are a couple requirements, according to Brent. One of them is that it has be outdoorsy. So I guess we can't become the family who plays Dungeons and Dragons. (I think Brent's played before. Not sure if he'd admit it.) So Brent suggested repelling, but I told him I'm pretty sure you have to climb too. And Kate gets scared of heights on the 3-to-5-year-old playground, though she does bravely and slowly crawl across the wabbely bridges. Brent said no to skiing and I said no to snow shoing. I'd like to snow shoe some day, but is that really a reasonable alternative to skiing? We ruled out boating because we're not responsible enough to own a boat (did you read above about the dirty cars?). I voted for cycling and brent voted for archery, but we couldn't settle down on either. We even wondered if we could be the family that took off two weeks every summer with our video camera to document some part of America. But we think that may not be stream-lined enough to fit the concept. In the end, I'm still pulling for golfing, since I want to learn to golf anyway, but is that too snooty to MAKE your kids golf? We've always got backpacking to fall back on. Luckily, Danny and Kate are still 2 and 4 and we're still pretty poor, so we have a few years to settle on something.
No comments:
Post a Comment