Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Dentist and More

During his teeth cleaning Danny didn't like the bright light,
and ended up wearing my sunglasses.

Brave kids
We are so proud of Kate. She just survived her final denstist appointment to remove caveties. She was so brave. I set her up with an iPod, and she listened to The Tale of Despereaux, coming out as a movie this winter!, as the dentist worked. Kate loves to listen to stories for hours on end so this really helped. She kept her mouth open wide the entire time, and didn't dare close it, even when the dentist was turned around preparing an instrument or something (Lacey, are you proud?)

I absolutely love our dentist, he's my favorite ever. But sometimes he talks to my kids as if they are at least twelve. This works just fine with our mature little Kate, but it was so comical when we took Danny as a two-year-old. I sat in the corner and tried not to laugh as poor Danny kept trying to guess what the dentist wanted him to do and tried to answer all the questions posed to him, most of them with an answer of complete nonsense. Watching the dentist trying to build on these answers for conversation was so funny.

Is it my birthday?
Kate's also been taking ballet for the last two weeks and enjoys it. I found an incredible dance school nearby. The director has her hands in all kinds of projects, and get this, trained Katee on this season's SYTYCD!, who has been one of my season favorites from the start. AND, as if that weren't enough, my favorite store in the entire world, Anthropolgie, just opened up right near the studio. My goodwill towards our little corner of California has suddenly tripled.

Last night, after getting home from dance and Anthropologie, Kate decided to clean the house. It is badly needed, as I've been dry-wall taping and painting our bathroom and have mostly ignored the house. Completely on her own she handwashed dishes, emptied the dishwasher, and scrubbed the floor on hands and knees. She actually got things looking better. And then she told me, "Mom, I'm doing this because I love you." Of course I gushed, maybe too much, because at the end of the night she felt it necessary to warn me not to expect this as a continual thing.

8 comments:

  1. What a little cutie Kate is to clean!!! I love the idea of listening to books on your ipod. What site do you download them from? We enjoyed reading the Tale of Despereaux, and I didn't know it was coming to the big screen. What a cool idea of the sunglasses at the dentist, we may have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer! How fun that you guys have read the book! This one I got as a CD from the library and transferred it to the iPod b/c we no longer have a portable CD player that works. The stories Kate listens to most often, though, are from a podcast called Storynory (free of course). I've also used iTunes and my one free story from Audible kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What good patients your children are! I am very proud of both of them. I love Danny's sunglasses. I actually keep two pairs of children's sunglasses next to my chair. Pink Dora the Explorer glasses for girls and blue Spongebob glasses for boys.

    You are so smart for bringing the iPod. In school I would tell my friends to bring their iPods for their cleanings. It makes the time go by faster, and keeps your mind off the noises of someone working inside your head. Once the numbness sets in, the noise of dental work can be the worst part.

    I love Anthropologie too! That's seriously cool about Kate's dance teacher training Katee. I love Katee too. She's so talented but seems really humble at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great cleaner you have on your hands!
    I like Katee too, that show is so fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate taking my boys to the dentist, but it is one of those things that have to be done!! you are a good mommy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry, but I had to post about how funny it is that you have Coolie and Moolie on your header! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amber I just love love love your blog. It puts such a smile on my face and I have really needed that lately. Kate is such a sweety...to be so thoughtful and observant at her age. But alas she will probably be hitting you up for money for such services soon...
    Love
    Mom F

    ReplyDelete