Saturday, August 4, 2012

no more Pacifiers!


I came home one Saturday morning to hear that Reid and Brent had hatched a plan. They'd put all of Reid's pacifiers in a ziplock and were headed to Target to trade them for SpiderMan web shooters.

Now you have to understand that Reid had what we decided were some serious addictive issues with his pacifiers. So I was a little nervous. We'd tried breaking him of his habit before, many times, including right before our ward campout last summer. It was disastrous. People are still talking about it. Btw, our ward campout this year was two weeks out from the target trip.

But we went through with it. Reid was totally on board. Our Target checker was super cool about it, too, a really nice kid.

Reid did seem a little disappointed when he found out his webshooters were not actually the same as SpiderMan's. I'm pretty certain he was expecting to swing from walls, and instead found himself figuring out how to latch the velcro back on and re-assemble the silly string cartridge all day.

That night, when it was time to try to go to sleep, Reid was super brave. He knew he'd made a decision and was trying not to bring up the pacifiers. We could totally see the internal battle. It broke my heart just a little when the next day he was trying to take a nap, and thought for a moment, and said, "I wan trade my big-Do back?" (he calls his pacifier a big-Do.)

But it's been a few weeks now and we are past it, we even have a successful ward campout under our belt. We're proud of our SpiderMan.


Watch out, I've got my silly string and my plush monkey.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, that made me cry when he wanted to trade back. Sometimes growing up is really hard. What a sweet boy! We love you all.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Mom. Poor little boy. Even without being there I can totally see that look in his eyes trying to figure out how to unwind the trade. We're so excited to see him and the rest of you, big-Do or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the cutest story!! I love that last picture ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete