Sunday, March 29, 2009

Running + Uncle Kyle

I love running. It took me years to feel that way. I remember when I would drive past a jogger and get this nagging dread--oh, I still have to do that today. At some point it changed, and I remember one day, driving Kate to preschool, I drove past a jogger and felt jealous that it wasn't me out for a run. Running is fun stuff. (But I miss my running partner, Shanti, get better now!) But I'm still hesitant to sign up for races that are 10Ks and under, because I get this nervousness like I've never felt for anything else, except my one year of middle-school track. Anyway, all of this rolled up makes running fascinating to me, as I'm sure it is to all other runners. So it was so great this weekend when we got to go watch Uncle Kyle (Julianne's hubbie) run the 3k steeple chase for BYU at Stanford. This is an entirely different universe of running (Kyle's run a mile at 3:58). Kyle's run was amazing, and then he was so patient with us after and answered my many many questions about what it's like to run like he does. For ex, he told us that his best runs aren't the ones where he wins, b/c he usually doesn't have to push as hard on those. Sheesh.
Zachary came with us and got some fantastic action shots. That's Kyle on the left. (nice work, Zackary!!) But I was super lame and somehow didn't think to get a shot of us with Kyle.

Watching was pretty incredible. To see the runners start at near sprint pace and then, a mile later, they're still doing the same crazy pace. Even sitting right next to the track it's hard to believe these are real people. And then we got to hang out with one! Kyle sat with us and gave us some of the inside scoop for the last races, and then we joined Kyle and his parents for In and Out afterwords. It was a great evening. They are such a fun family and we had a great time with them. And thanks to my honey for being the alert driver on the way home while the kids I slept away in the back.
Go BYU!

And speaking of sports, Brent had us all fill out brackets for March Madness, and told us whoever wins gets to be queen or king for the day. I was stoked, because even though I know nothing about college basketball I always win. But as of today, Brent is the official winner. Dran. Hopefully he'll be a benevolent ruler.

2 comments:

  1. awesome shot of kyle! i would love to watch something like that someday. thanks for the shout-out! =)

    ReplyDelete