Sunday, March 8, 2009

Happy Birthday, Kate

Kate always gets a little warm up to her birthday by watching Danny’s big day three days earlier. This year Kate was ready. She woke up on her birthday in the most fantastic mood, completely ready to be delighted by every phone call, birthday wish, and gift. And she succeeded in enjoying every minute of the day.
She got fantastic birthday garb from Grandpa and her cousins, and told me about all the hilarious jokes her friends were making in the morning about eating a piece of her hat.

For her birthday treat at school, she asked for streusel muffins instead of cupcakes, and wanted matroska doll picks. So while she was at school, Oma, Opa and I made an assembly line and put them together. She was quite the polite little lady as she handed them out.
We celebrated by hanging out at Borders on her birthday (her choice) and the zoo the next morning. And she thought stopping by the local Devine Desserts would be the best way to top the evening. I was happy—amazing lemon mousse cake for me and no more baking.


Kate is good at the gift-opening thing. She is always completely delighted with every gift and has a great little squeal for each one. She’s my girly girl.
Kate, you have always been a little lady since the time you were two. I always remember our first day and our first year together so well, that it’s hard to believe you’re so grown. But I can’t help but be excited for you as you grow because you can hardly wait for all things teenager and motherly. You are so loving to your brother, often taking him by the hand to show him things and have always explained the mysteries of the universe to him very patiently. I am thanking my lucky stars that I will have you around when our new baby comes, because I know God meant you to be a big sister, you do it so naturally. You are very responsible and probably have a better memory than your poor mother. But I love that we have so much in common, we love to watch clouds and have picnics and watch Oscar Wilde movies. You’re my girl.

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday Kate! (amber- this makes me excited for Ani to get older and be able to be my little girl-pal! :) sounds like a great day- I love the choice of the streusel muffins with matroska doll picks kate! very original! and so fun that your grandma and grandpa hoeger are there to celebrate the birthdays! tell them I said hello!

    ReplyDelete