
The public school system has picked up the slack for things Brent and I have failed to teach Kate at home. My friends, I refer to gardening. Kate's Kindergarten has a garden to die for. Broccoli! Beets! Kale! Cilantro! Carrots! and so much more. I try not to feel insufficient as a parent when I compare it to the two withered tomato plants that were our family garden living out their final days in our back yard. Kate's kindergarten class has been so fortunate. One of the mothers owns a nursery and has been putting her magic and many hours to work in their garden beds. Last week the kindergartners used their safety scissors to cut up several ingredients for a garden soup, and all the Families went on Friday to enjoy the soup and a Thanksgiving program put on the kids.

We decided to bring home made soft pretzels for the feast, so we got up early for a morning pretzle-making session. I used a recent recipe from Martha. But I'm not in love with it. I have a Cooks Illustrated recipe I want to try next time.



At the feast, we made this awesome snow-man collage for a convelescent home. I thought it was such a brilliant idea. Working with Kate on our snowman was interesting. She already has her own opinions about how things should work. It took me back to the days of doing group projects in school. Here are Danny and Emma looking over all the snowmen.

Brent has come up with a new family plan. He promised the kids their own camel packs if they can go on ten family hikes, and be cheerful from the minute we pull out until we are arriving back home. We've had amazing weather in the 70s and 80s, so we've done nearby hikes to a quarry, a lake, and covered bridge. Each one has had its own discoveries waiting in store for us, and the kids have really had the chance to explore at their own pace. I somehow survived without taking my big camera on the last two, but had to take it this time, and got about a million fun pictures. (Can you tell I played with these in Photoshop? Maybe someone can tell me how obvious it is that I don't know what I'm doing.)




You should never feel insufficient as a parent for a couple of rotten tomatoes! You are amazing!! You make the rest of us feel insufficient! Lovely pictures and adorable kids! Will you email me sometime because I need to pick your brain about your blurb book. I'm confused as to how to change the layout.
ReplyDeleteannieblatter@gmail.com
Thanks! We miss you here!