Me: When someone is really good at something, when they're a master at something, and they work on a big project, they call it a masterpiece.
Danny: What's a master?
Me: Someone who is really good at something. Like a master swordsman or a master painter...
Danny: Mom, I'm good! So I'm a master!
Me: Hmm. Yes, you are good. But usually masters have to have lots of practice, and usually masters are grown ups.
Danny: Then you are a master!
Kate: Danny, you don't just say she's a master, she's a "master mom."
Me: Why thank you Kate. Yes. You can tell people that.
A later conversation on the phone:
Grandma: Honey, thank you for that music you sent! (a CD of music from 60 years ago to celebrate their 60th anniversary)
Me: I'm glad you liked it
Grandma: I even played it just for myself last night. When I heard that Slow Boat to China song it took me back to the days I used to go to a meat market after work to get some meat for dinner. I'd walk in and they would be playing that song and all the Chinese men who worked there would be singing along "I'd like to get you on a slow boat to China, all to myself alone." Every time I hear that song I think of them.
I love the "master" conversation. Don't you love how kids think and process the world around them? Wouldn't it be great if we all had the confidence that kids do about being great at something? More self-declared masters?
ReplyDelete