I'd have to say the only bad part about Father's day this year was that I didn't get to talk to my dad because he and my mom were still traveling. When my dad and I would have our talks when I was a teenager, I could always believe that he actually had been a teenager. I still love our talks. I think because a few of our traits (eccentricities?) overlap. (Plant growing not being one of them.) My dad is driven, he is impossibly driven. And though I will never crave speed-work runs or double-a-day workouts like he does, and though I'd never stick it out through 8+ years of luge training seasons in the world's more arctic locations, I do see eye-to-eye with him on several things, and that is enjoyable and comforting.
Father's Day High
There were too many to pick just one. Watching Kate sing with the primary (and watching Brent watch Kate sing with the primary) was a perfect moment. Talking to my Grandpa (and Grandma!) was so enjoyable. And hanging out with family. I love seeing Brent with his dad. They also are like each other. Brent is dedicated and dutiful, he somehow instinctively knew how to rebuild our whole house, he is a sucker for our kids, and he doesn't say more than he needs to. He gets all of this from his dad. Though Dad is clearly the better Wii hoola hooper, Brent, you have to admit.
All I have to say is that Kate is adorable. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I thought I'd say it again in case you'd forgotten.
ReplyDeleteAll I remember about training with dad is that his summer workouts made me look forward to cross-country season because I knew they wouldn't be so hard. I tossed my cookies twice because of running, once setting my PR in the 5k, and once doing an 800 workout with dad...I think the second one was harder.
ReplyDeletewhat a great father's dad! I love your dad! :) so the kids and I fly to my parents on the 15th of July- we'll be around until the 11th of August. We would LOVE to come hang out with you guys for a day- I'm dying to see you and the kids and see your idyll life on the farm :) what is your summer schedule? (PS- as I type anneke keeps pointing to the pics of Danny and saying Ad-ee, Ad-ee, she thinks he looks like her big brother :)
ReplyDeleteElla looks like she's a judge judy at court....LOL!
ReplyDelete