Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Kate's High for the Day

Thanks to a college roommate, (thanks, Cori), we have this fantastic thing we say to our kids at the end of the day. When they’re all tucked in, we ask them, “What was your high and low for the day?” They usually need our help, but eventually come up with something wonderful that happened that day and something that disappointed them. It has led us into the most enjoyable bedtime conversations. Kate is really starting to get the idea of it—-which I realized today at Kmart.

I’m a Martha Stewart fan. I know, it’s shameless. When it comes to unrealistic expectations for women, I put Martha's standards on par with Barbie's. But I can't help myself. Martha is the main reason I find myself back in K-mart this time of year, to check out her line of holiday stuff. The kids spotted the Christmas trees from halfway across the store. As we approached, they were in awe. The display wasn’t as discerning or tasteful as, say, Target’s, but it was magical. Bricks were lined up along the floor to hold in snow-looking stuffing and to make paths the kids could wander though to gaze at the lighted wicker reindeer and wicker Winnie the Pooh, the giant snow globe with Mickey and Minnie riding a carousal, the ferris wheel carrying Christmas characters that spun higher than my head, and of course, the forest of Christmas trees. I was taken back to childhood as I watched Kate. She stood in front of each display, lost in thought and trying to take it all in, completely unaware that she was smiling. She was so excited, she kept thanking me for bringing her to this store. And then she said, “Mom, this is my high for the day!”

3 comments:

  1. Amber! I love your cute little blog and your kiddos are so stinking cute! I just read through a good portion of this and I had to comment on SYTYCD. I am like that shows #1 fan. I went to it here in Chicago too and the show was awesome! Anyways, it was so good to hear from you and then read all about your adorable little family. LOVES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber I love your blog! I'm so glad we can catch up in the blogosphere! I hope your planning on telling us what your dreams is for your land!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sitting here working on music for you know who for you know what, and i can't help but feel like i totally understand what you were feeling as you watched Kate. I think that the magic of Christmas is something that is instilled in us by our parents, if you have parents who love Christmas, their excitement is contagious and when they take the time to make traditions happen every year, it makes everything so much more tangible, every ritual takes on it's own meaning and personality and adds to the whole experience. I feel fortunate that our parents made Christmas so beautiful and deeply meaningful for us, and it looks like our generation is passing on the favor.

    ReplyDelete