Monday, November 12, 2007

Foster Animals (Stuffed Ones)


I've had a couple friends who take in foster kittens from time to time. We haven't been ambitious enough for that yet, but we're working our way up with stuffed animals.

A couple weeks ago I picked up two stuffed animals for my sister-in-law to use under the tree she does for Vacaville's festival of trees. I tried keeping them hidden from the kids, but it was no use. They found the little bunny and dolphin, and were in instant bliss. It was too perfect, two animals and two kids. So Kate befriended the bunny and Danny adopted the dolphin. I warned them they were not staying with us, but it made no difference, they showered all their love and affection on those animals for the night. They named them and made them leashes out of ribbon, went on adventures around the house with them, then eventually watched a movie with one tucked under each kid's arm, and then took them off to bed to fall asleep with one under each kid's covers. Stuffed animals seem to have this unexplainable effect. It's just stuffing and furry polyester, right? But any time Kate sleeps in her own room (often she sleeps on Danny's trundle) she insists on having her teddy bear to keep her safe. And when Danny yells out in the middle of the night, "Mama, I have a bad feeling!" his stuffed dog is one of my first lines of action to try to get him to calm down and go to sleep.

I think any one who's been a parent for a while has some malice towards stuffed animals. Every kid seems to have so many of them, and for my part I don't even know how to keep them all in the house at once any more. But despite all this, it's hard to blame someone for giving them another stuffed animal, for adding to the collection. Because when else in a child's life will you get a chance to give them a gift like this, that ends up being their companion on make-believe adventures and that can save them from all the terrors of a dark bedroom and a vivid imagination?

3 comments:

  1. We have soooooo many stuffed animals at our house it is crazy. My mom saved some of mine from when I was a kids so we have those plus all the ones my kids keep collecting for what ever reason and holiday comes around. But we can't get rid of them because they do actually get played with. They are always on parade down the hall. On a carousel ride or safely housed in their exhibits at the zoo. Books make great cage walls.
    Each of the kids has to have one or two to sleep with each night and they also have to have one to ride with in the car.

    So I totally understand. We are stuffed animal lovers here too.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brent & Amber - You guys have the cutest kids! Good to see you guys are doing well. -Noah
    smithfamilyfive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amber, I like how your blog posts always have some analysis that causes me to take a step back and look at my life and think "man, I need to take a step back and really take satisfaction in little moments that I always let pass by". Thanks.

    ReplyDelete