
One of the greatest privileges of being a parent is getting this new, unexperienced person you get to introduce to the world. Of course some of the things you have to introduce to a child to are a little sad. But there are so many other introductions that are completely wonderful. You can't help but feel lucky to be involved in these discoveries. It is especially fantastic when the thing is something that has been so common your life that you don't give it much thought anymore. I remember the summer when Kate was two and I first introduced her to a popsicle. She was thrilled at the idea of frozen juice on a stick. We recently introduced Danny to the concept of a rubber band ball. A whole ball made of nothing but rubber bands? He was ecstatic. He talked about rubber band balls so much we finally had to buy him one at Walmart. Other recent discoveries for my kids have included Handi-Snacks and peddling backwards on your bicycle to break.
Too bad we all can't approach life's little treasures with such enthusiasm. I will make an effort to celebrate all the metaphorical popsicles and rubber band balls in my day tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteoh yes, life discoveries are the best! I've felt that way just over the last couple of days gearing up Ethan for the Olympics! I keep listening to myself say things like, "oh! and then there's this one event. . . . where the boy and girl swimmers stand up on this really, really, really high diving board. . . . like a hundred high. . .and. . . "
ReplyDelete