Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Spring--Almost as Cool as Fall

Danee's recent post about spring has me thinking. I love all the seasons. I love the change in the weather, the mood, and of course the store merchandise. If I had to pick my favorite season, I would pick summer as my second favorite, but as my first favorite, I'd pick fall. I like the quiet as you nestle in at home and get introspective and at the same time I like the excitement in the air as you pick out school supplies and start thinking about family gatherings at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I like it for all the reasons that Tisha mentioned in this post last fall. Never could I fully relate with those of you who are spring lovers and choose it as your favorite season. But this year I have begun to understand.

For one, the kids and I just finished reading Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Now this guy is excited about spring. Open up the book to a random page, and start reading a passage, and I’d say you have a 50% chance that the passage is talking about how little green things begin coming alive and pushing through the wet earth, about the flowers uncurling and birds in a hurry to build their nests. So I have begun to be more aware of all the things that are churning under the dirt as spring makes its entrance.

For another, living in the country makes it a lot harder to miss spring (for people who tend to be somewhat oblivious, like me). Before living here, the only thing I'd seen like it was Bambi. Here in the country, all of a sudden the mama turkeys will be followed around by baby turkeys, the same goes for the mama ducks and quail and our freinds' lambs, and our field takes off and grows to the height of your chest. I'm not sure if the excitement in the fall is natural or rather a man-made result of school starting and holidays around the corner, but the excitement of spring is natural and involves everything alive. It makes Easter seem to fit in that much better this year, to feel things around you come alive as you celebrate the resurrection of Christ.

And finally, lets not forget one more harbinger of spring, and that is that grocery stores start to carry Cadbury Mini Eggs! It almost makes up for the fact that you have to give up hot chocolate this time of year. For any of you unfortunate friends and family who have not tried these orbs of delight, they are solid milk chocolate, different than the original Cadbury egg, with a crunch candy outside for which I've never tasted an equal.

5 comments:

  1. I am with you on the eggs!! Yumm-O!! I have yet to eat one this easter season. Maybe I will go out and buy some tonight! how long are you in boise for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same sentiments as you about spring. I have always said that fall was my favorite season but I would say after moving out to the country, Spring is coming in a very close 2nd. And the mini eggs.....well I knew you were so amazing already but now I think we can be considered "kindred spirits" - they are super.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh easter candy.....cadbury eggs, peeps of all colors, and the new resees eggs that I just discovered that resemble the cadbury ones in texture and size only with peanut butter in the middle....yes I bought candy for easter a week ago, knowing full well that only half would make it to the actual day! loved your comments on spring, I'll have to check out that book and read it with adley, I think he would like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I owe so much of my life's happiness to Cadbury mini eggs. This year we had to buy two bags. Milk chocolate for me, dark for Brent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are my favorite chocolate Easter treat! I don't buy any bags of them lately, because I'd eat way too many of them. I'll just salivate over the picture of them.

    ReplyDelete