The kids got to spend Monday and Tuesday playing with friends, which was heaven, and Tuesday afternoon, we took off for the bay area. I had to package up and deliver some chocolate in San Fran (I got to double park in my mini van full of kids!), so we decided to make a trip out of it.
We headed to the mission district and found parking! hooray!
And it was only a few blocks from this bakery. You know a bakery is cool when they don't even bother putting up a storefront sign, just this little announcment in the window.
We did not hold back. We walked out of there with two paper bags full of anything we wanted to try (I've been dying to try this place forever).
The day was sunshiny and rediculously gorgeous, so walked back to Delores park and had an amazing view of the city,
just about everything got a unanimous thumbs up.
after some frolicking, the kids decided they really wanted to go see our hotel room. (I told them it was what is called a two-star hotel, and explained what that meant, but they said they did not care, it was a hotel room!)
so we headed to our hotel room (near where I used to work in Belmont) and moved in. Kate got right to work setting us all up, yogurts in the fridge, her bathrobe in the bathroom, clothes hung up
and we headed out for some dinner and ben & jerrys.
Oatmeal in bed for breakfast. Yum.
Kate was living up the hotel life, and brought all the essentials. She read and journaled and watched cable, we love this girl.
The next day we managed to fit in some time at Moss Beach
and a very quick hour at the exploratorium (it would have been a good thirty minutes longer if mom hadn't missed the exit twice, we looped around and saw the golden gate three times before I got it right, with the kids cheering me on in the back seat).
We were all so excited to get back late that night (after some interesting issues with traffic and finding places to take care of business on the side of the road) and see papa. And, talk about timing, I was actually hugely relieved when we all (except Brent) came down with stomach flu that night. We were bummed because great grandma and grandpa were scheduled to come in on the train the next morning, and we miss them a ton!, but as Brent and I were running around washing sheets and towels, I was in complete relief that I had not been doing this all on my own in some distant hotel room or while trying to keep Grandma and Grandpa away from all our germs.
It was a great week, and so nice to just be with the kids and enjoy them without worrying about laundry and keeping the house clean. I talked to a friend once and we decided we are both slightly better mamas out of the house, when dishes and laundry aren't a possibility!
Had to read through it quickly, but what a great journal of your week. Love it! It's nice to be able to keep up with you too. It makes me feel like we're not so far away.
ReplyDeleteLove you all - Mom
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSuch a wonderful mother and such lucky kids. My parents never took me to San Francisco!!! but they did PLENTY of wonderful things for me. Love you guys.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Love Kate's shirt: Boise State Broncos
P.S.S. Danny will be breaking in all of his new teeth soon.
P.S.S.S. I have one wish, that ALL the children in the world would be loved and cared for as much as our grandchildren are loved and cared for by their parents.
What a perfect weekend. I love the picture of you guys at the hotel with poor Reid passed out on the bed on top of the covers. Our little ones are so trusting of us. It's fun to see Kate and Danny growing into new stages, appreciating new things and learning so much. We always look to you guys as a preview of where we'll be in a few years and it's fun to see them grow up and jump into things they love, see how their personalities develop. We are going to have to plan a visit soon...
ReplyDeleteIt looked like a very fun week, I hope you guys get more of those, thanks Amber for sharing, is always nice to see your kids growing up and having fun.
ReplyDeleteMy goodness it has been way too long since I have been to the exploratorium. I actually remember that black and white checkered room.. Looks like you had lots of fun. We miss you guys too much and look forward to seeing you in November.
ReplyDeletewhat a fun trip and adventure! LOVE San fran! and yes, the exploratorium exit always gets me! it's a tough one! the kids are looking so big! I'm anxious to get together when we are out there again next summer (2013)! Maybe we should do a city trip!
ReplyDelete